Do you have what it takes to play football for 12 hours to save lives?
Football Marathon 2012 will take place on Saturday 7th July on Wormwood Scrubs Playing Fields in North West London (nearest tube East Acton on central line) .
It will almost certainly be the biggest, best and most successful charity football tournament of the year. Why would you not get involved?
Here’s how it works:
- Squads of 8 will play 6aside football in an ingeniously structured super-tournament for 12 hours
- Each team has a fundraising target of £1,000 – which works out to £125 per player, £20 of which must be donated at time of registration
- Every team gets their own set of t-shirts, full fundraising support, and their own unique match schedules
- Teams will play about 25 games of 20 minute football, with roughly 4 games on to every ‘rest’ game
- During ‘rest’ games, some players will referee games involving other teams
- GPS systems from previous years indicate each player will cover about 40km over the course of the day – a little further than running a Marathon
- It’ll be really, really, really fun, if quite painful Some feedback from teams in previous years can be found below
- The money you raise will save lives
Over the last 10 years, the Football Marathon has raised over half a million pounds. In 2011, 63 teams raised £140,000, playing 788 games of football in a single day.
Here’s how you register:
1. Download the below Team application form. Complete it in full and email it (in existing excel format)to email@example.com.
2. Each player needs to make a registration donation of £20 at the time of registering, which is easiest done online at www.justgiving.com/footballmarathon2012
3. Once registered you’ll receive confirmation of your place plus fundraising packs, sponsorship forms and further details as the big day approaches. You also get to choose your team colours and there will be prizes and tournament-perks for teams who exceed their fundraising targets by the day of the event.
Deadline for team registration is 1st June 2012.
Teams must be all female – though mixed-gender or all-male teams can enter the larger event taking place alongside this one on the same day. To take part the only criteria are that you are over 16, are in good enough physical condition to take part (check with your GP if unsure) and are at least as committed to hitting your fundraising target as you are to playing football for 12 hours.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Here’s some feedback from players in previous Football Marathons:
“I wanted to say a massive thank you to you and the rest of the TackleAfrica team for the football marathon 2011… I don’t think there’s anything (apart from the weather!!) that I can think of that would improve the day”
“WHAT AN AMAZING EVENT!!!”
”As a player manager it felt like the event ran as smoothly as Ronaldo’s waxed chest. Despite my shins feeling as broken as Abi Clancey’s poor heart, I and the team will definitely be back for more punishment next year”
”Massive thank you to the TackleAfrica crew – this was the biggest and best that I’ve attended (this was my 5th). Even though we are all in pain it is a small price to pay for the work your charity does on a daily basis”
”I think the marathon mirrors a few of the qualities you guys have as an organisation – committed, inspiring, fun, inclusive. The guys were blown away both by the challenge and completely uplifted by the event”
Comments are closed.