Two football marathons down and one to go! For those not familiar, the TackleAfrica football marathon is the stuff of legend. 8 player teams playing twelve hours of virtually non-stop 6-a-side football, all raising funds for our work in Africa.
Our flagship football marathon for 2019 took place on Saturday 22nd June at Wormwood Scrubs, London with a huge turnout of 416 players across 52 teams, all arriving fresh faced at 8am and leaving slightly worse for wear at 8pm. Overall teams raised £107,000 for our work in ten African countries, ensuring that thousands of young Africans will receive HIV and Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights information and services through football in the coming year.
In a football marathon, the top fundraising teams are treated to a range of prizes, from flair gazebos kitted out with an ice pool to keep your drinks cold to a much needed extra man for a couple of hours. A big shout out to Premier League legend Clinton Morrison who came this year as the coveted extra man prize! Clinton played six games with our top fundraising team Va Va Voom, providing welcome relief in the afternoon for some tired legs.
Some essential figures for all you statos from London:
- Winners Kew Park Rangers won the title, winning 16, drawing 2 and losing only 2!
- Kew Park Rangers also boasted the most potent attack, finding the net an impressive 67 times
- The aptly-named Pique Blinders had the best defence (obviously), with S Club 8 also conceding just 15 goals the entire day thanks to some stunning goalkeeping
- In total, 2030 goals were scored in 626 games at a crowd-pleasing average of 3.2 GPG
- Honourable mention to OB City who managed to just stay in the double digit bracket for goals against – 99!
Thanks to everyone who made it such a brilliant day: players, supporters, volunteers, referees, litter pickers and the good old British weather. Video highlights to follow so watch this space!
If you’d like to make a donation to our work you can easily do so via our website https://tackleafrica.org/get-involved/donate/